Thursday, November 12, 2015

Design Patterns in Dart

I'm lousy with Patterns. So buy my book!

Seriously though, I'm excited about Design Patterns in Dart and you should be too. Dart feels like it has lost some of its initial excitement and admittedly there was almost as much skepticism about it as there was excitement. But Dart continues to be an interesting, powerful language.

I'm still a proponent. It is great for organizing and maintaining large applications. There are some exceptional tools for coding in Dart. It is a pretty language that I enjoy writing. It is open source and an open standard. And it compiles to blazingly fast JavaScript. Really, what's not to love?

What excites me about the combination of Patterns and Dart is twofold. First, Dart is statically typed. My background is very much in dynamically typed languages. Sadly, I let this cloud my impressions at Patterns that grew out of, and in many cases solved problems specific to, statically typed languages. With Dart, my readers and I get to explore Patterns closer to the original intent.

What I find even more intriguing are the myriad of Patterns baked into the language itself and already in use by the community. The web is a very different place than the world that originally incubated Patterns. I can't wait to explore that in depth.

Big surprise on the book's mailing list November 27

And thus starts my next chain. Over the next several months, I will blog every day (every, single day) about Patterns — those from the Gang of Four as well as newer ones. I have no idea how this is going to work or how I'll approach the book. I expect to have a rough idea in a month or two, with a very alpha version of the book to follow a month after that. If you're excited about this experiment (or even mildly amused), do sign up for the mailing list. If you're on it before November 27, I promise a pretty big surprise.

And now, I blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment